A sampling of projects and initiatives that we and our member groups are working on:
- Finding ways to reduce and improve the efficiency of fliering on campus
- Decreasing food and associated waste at campus dining locations
- Composting food waste from Lerner dining locations; catering.
- Developing green and labor-friendly purchasing standards
- Continue to integrate environmental awareness programming into the New Student Orientation Program
- Create a Revolving Loan Fund and explore Green funding options on Columbia’s campus
And here are a couple of things we would like to do in the future:
- Perform an after-hours lighting survey to determine areas and specific buildings on campus where electricity is wasted in order to reduce Columbia’s carbon footprint.
- Standardize a way through which Columbia students can buy and sell their used textbooks to each other
- Get the College Walk Christmas lights installed as LEDs
- Reduce the presence of bottled water on campus
If you have an idea for something you would like to see changed on campus, and/or if any of these current or future projects sound interesting to you, send us your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Otherwise, among the best ways to get involved is to check out some of the Umbrella’s organizations – just visit the Our Members page to see a list of groups with their website (when applicable) and contact info.
Aside from campus and community projects, there is also a great deal that individuals can do to lead more environmentally sustainable lives. We have provided a series of easy-to-follow steps that you can take where even the smallest changes can make a big difference!
Click here to get started.